Jun 23, 2023
Sexual intimacy is a natural and diverse part of human relationships, and exploring new possibilities can enhance the connection between partners. One such exploration is engaging in sexual activities during menstruation, commonly known as period sex. While it may be seen as unconventional by some, period sex can bring pleasure, intimacy, and a sense of empowerment. In this blog, we will discuss 7 things to consider during period sex, including its benefits, and side effects, and provide helpful tips for a positive experience.
7 Things To Consider During Period Sex:
- Open Communication: Communication is key when it comes to period sex. Discussing your comfort levels, desires, and concerns with your partner is crucial for a mutually satisfying experience.
- Consent and Respect: Ensure that both partners are fully consenting to engage in sexual activities during menstruation. Mutual respect for each other's boundaries and comfort levels is essential.
- Hygiene: Prioritize hygiene by taking a shower or freshening up before engaging in period sex. Consider using a towel or a dark-coloured sheet to protect your bedding.
- Protection: It's important to use protection during period sex, such as condoms or dental dams, to prevent sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and minimize the risk of bacterial infections.
- Lubrication: Menstrual blood can act as a natural lubricant for some, but additional lubrication may still be necessary. Water-based lubricants can enhance comfort and pleasure during intercourse.
- Comfortable Positions: Experiment with different positions to find what feels most comfortable for you and your partner. Some individuals may prefer positions that minimize direct contact with menstrual blood, while others may find different positions heighten pleasure.
- Intimacy and Emotional Support: Engaging in period sex can foster emotional bonding and support between partners. Embrace the opportunity to communicate and provide comfort during this intimate experience.
Benefits of Period Sex:
- Increased Pleasure: The heightened blood flow to the pelvic area during menstruation can enhance sensitivity and potentially lead to more pleasurable experiences for some individuals.
- Natural Lubrication: Menstrual blood can act as a natural lubricant, making intercourse more comfortable and enjoyable.
- Hormonal Changes: Hormonal fluctuations during menstruation may increase libido, making some individuals more interested in sexual activity.
- Emotional Bonding: Period sex can deepen emotional intimacy and strengthen the connection between partners, fostering a greater sense of closeness.
Side Effects of Sex During Periods:
- Messiness: It's important to acknowledge that period sex can be messy due to the presence of menstrual blood. Prepare by having towels or tissues nearby to manage any potential spills.
- Menstrual Cramps: While some individuals find that sexual activity helps alleviate menstrual cramps, others may experience increased discomfort. Listen to your body and adjust accordingly.
- Increased Risk of Infection: Engaging in period sex can slightly increase the risk of infection. Proper protection, good hygiene practices, and regular STI screenings can help mitigate these risks.
Tips for Having Sex During Your Period:
Foreplay and Relaxation: Engage in extended foreplay to relax your body and promote arousal. This can help both partners feel more comfortable and enhance the overall experience.
Communication and Feedback: Throughout the experience, maintain open communication and provide feedback to ensure both partners are enjoying themselves. Adjusting positions, intensity, or taking breaks is always an option.
Shower Sex: Consider having sex in the shower, as the water can help with cleanliness and ease any concerns about messiness.
- Period Products: Using period products such as menstrual cups or tampons can help minimize blood flow during intercourse. Ensure that they are properly positioned and removed afterwards.
Engaging in sexual activities during menstruation is a personal choice that can bring pleasure, intimacy, and a stronger bond between partners. By considering the aforementioned aspects, communicating openly, prioritizing hygiene, and using protection, period sex can be a positive and enjoyable experience for all parties involved. Remember to respect each other's boundaries and embrace the opportunity for intimacy and connection during this time.
Is it safe to have sex during the period?
Ans. Yes, it is generally safe to have sex during menstruation. However, proper hygiene, communication, and the use of protection are essential to minimize the risk of infections.
Does having sex on your period make you bleed more?
Ans. Engaging in sexual activities during your period does not typically make you bleed more. However, physical activity can temporarily increase the flow of menstrual blood for some individuals.
How can I stop my period during sex?
Ans. It is not possible to stop your period during sex. However, using period products, such as menstrual cups or tampons, can help manage blood flow and minimize messiness during intercourse.