Apr 27, 2022
Before we even discuss this topic, raise your hand if you are still clueless about your hygiene down there? If you don't, you are one of those enlightened souls who give equal importance to their intimate health and know a good deal about it.
But, if you do, then honey, you need some serious advice!
What is Female Intimate Health all about?
So, what does your intimate hygiene stand for? Is it just taking showers daily or changing sanitary pads at regular intervals? Well, it is more than that.
Intimate health broadly encompasses the numerous aspects that affect the female
genitalia or reproductive organs. Some of these are STIs, fungal and yeast infections, UTI, vaginitis, and many more.
But India still has a long way to go when it comes to female intimate health and hygiene. Topics on such sensitive issues are either shushed or ignored; they are looked down upon as taboos. That's the reason why most Indian women are still ignorant about their intimate hygiene.
However, as more and more urban Indian women are opening up about the hush-hush topic of feminine hygiene, new-age brands are coming up with products dedicated to intimate cleanliness.
What happens when you ignore your Intimate Hygiene?
Regardless of age or what stage of life they are at, all women must give equal importance to their intimate health, as much as they give it to their physical and mental wellbeing. Because the more you ignore it, the higher is the chances of infections, painful sores, vaginal dryness, and STDs at an older age.
So, today let's talk about women's intimate wellness and how easily you can take care of the most sacred part of your body.
1. The vagina is more acidic than the rest of the body. Hence, go only for the intimate wash brands that help balance the vaginal pH level. These prevent itchiness and bacteria accumulation in the private parts.
2. Such washes also help grow of lactobacillus, a good bacteria. Always use high-quality dermatologically and gynaecologically tested intimate washes that are also hypo-allergic.
3. Your beloved vajayjay has the ability to self-clean. So never wash it from the inside, which can prove harmful.
4. Never forget to wash down there at least once a day with warm water. This helps to ensure zero bacteria accumulation. More importantly, maintain this cleaning regime strictly during your period days. If possible, do it twice a day.
5. Keep vaginal dryness and itching at bay, which often occur due to a decrease in the Estrogen level. This is actually associated with menopause. Discuss with your physician, and if permitted, go for a topical Estrogen therapy, which replaces some of the hormones your body fails to produce. However, if the condition persists, then consult your doctor without fail.
6. Always try to wear cotton underwears that are breathable and allows air circulation. Less breathing space and air circulation means more humidity around the intimate parts which creates a favorable environment for harmful bacteria to grow. Soft, cotton panties are the best to keep it safe and cozy downstairs.
7. If you are a frequent user of tampons, you might be risking it; because prolonged use of tampons can cause toxic shock syndrome, potentially fatal for your health. If left untreated TSS can even lead to death.
Although tampons have several benefits, especially for professional women who travel a lot, cotton sanitary napkins are still the best option available. There are several brands who sell eco-friendly pads made of organic materials. Choose a safer and less riskier way of dealing with your periods.
8. But yes, change them every 2-4 hours. Wearing a pad for more than 4 hours allows harmful bacteria to multiply around your vaginal area. This is also one of the causes of cervical cancer in most women.
That said, change your pad every 2-4 hours and enjoy a clean and hygienic period. You may check one of our Blog posts on self-care for a healthier menstruation cycle.
9. Using soft towels to wipe your vaginal area is essential. Also, what is more important is, that the towel must be dry and washed every two days, ensuring a clean surface that touches down there.
10. Last but not least, while using a tissue or toilet roll, never wipe from back to front. It should always be front to back to prevent bacteria from accumulating.
Whether you are in a hurry or someone knocks on the toilet door, never rush and wipe it the wrong way.
So you see, intimate health and hygiene are extremely vital to women of all ages to retain sound well-being, as well as active sexual life. More and more awareness in this regard is needed for Indian women.
Although in the recent past, the government has come forward with various initiatives, such as proper sanitation, and decent toilets, especially in the rural areas, we women have to be more aware and alert about our intimate health to prevent any unwelcome disease.
So, ladies, always choose peace over panic and love your privates!
Intimately Yours, VinzBerry